Gas Certificates for UK Landlords

As a Landlord, your property must, under Law, have an annual inspection of gas supply and gas appliances. This must be carried out by a Registered Engineer (please see the note below).

IMPORTANT: Your Failure to comply with these regulations as a Landlord may lead to prosecution and/or imprisonment with fines up to £25,000.00 - click here to read a gas certificate case study.

Gas Regulations are enforced by The Health and Safety Executive.

A Registered Gas Engineer (see below) must check all gas appliances in rented accommodation every year. This is compulsory under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1994 (as amended).

It is the responsibility of you as landlord to arrange for yearly inspections to be carried out. You should ensure that both you and the tenant should have a written report on the condition of each appliance.

You must keep records of the safety checks and issue a copy of them to new and existing tenants.  All gas engineers issuing certificates must be registered; do not employ non-registered plumbers/engineers.

It is imperative you keep a record of when each appliance was checked and any defects found and repaired. This record should be made available to the tenants on moving into the property within 28 days of the annual inspection being carried out.
Important Note:

On 8 September 2008, a 10 year contract to Capita Group to provide a new registration scheme for gas installers was implemented, and started on 1st April 2009; this replaces the old CORGI Registration. From 1st April 2009, Landlords should ensure that all current and future gas engineers are registered with Capita in order to meet their legal obligations.